You’ve likely seen the same digital marketing advice over and over: “Know your target audience.” But what does that mean? And what if you’re just about to open your dispensary and haven’t even had one customer yet?
Creating a customer avatar can help. Here, we’ll discuss how to create a customer avatar for your dispensary. We’ll explain what an avatar is, how it’s beneficial, and how to use one to create the right messaging to attract the perfect customers.
The Concept of a Custom Avatar
This is not just a fancy marketing term — building a good customer avatar could be the backbone of your entire business. Weed is a multibillion-dollar industry, and it might seem like everyone who smokes should flock to your dispensary because you have legal weed, but that’s not always the case.
Stoners can be just as picky as any other type of consumer, and sometimes even more so. They want to smoke weed from a brand that makes them look cool to their friends and makes them feel good about what they’re smoking.
A customer avatar is a fictional character who is enthusiastic about your brand and shares it with others — a representation of your ideal customer. This person has a name, age, occupation, personality, and interests. By creating this custom avatar, you can create personalized marketing messages that speak directly to this person and excite them about your dispensary.
The Importance of a Customer Avatar
Your customer avatar will be the foundation of all of your marketing efforts. It allows you to zoom in on your target audience and connect at a deeper level. The reality is that even though your ideal customers may not be directly purchasing from your dispensary yet, they are out there.
Your fictional custom avatar helps you speak to these people in a way that connects with them. Your target audience has specific behaviors, desires, and problems that you can speak to in your advertising.
Your messaging can speak to their pain points and desires in ways that other dispensaries can’t. This avatar will help you attract more customers while building trust, loyalty, and word-of-mouth marketing.
How to Find Your Target Audience
So, let’s discuss how to go about creating a customer avatar for your dispensary. It’s time to light one up and use our imagination:
- Demographics: Give your avatar a name, age, occupation, religion, income bracket, etc.
- Psychographics: Give your avatar a personality. Dive into some of their interests and attitudes. You can even go into some weed demographics here, such as how they like to smoke (joint, blunt, bong) and what strains they prefer.
- Humanize: Give your avatar a picture. Search on stock photo websites, such as Pexels or Unsplash, or other sites around the internet to find an image that matches what your ideal customer looks like.
- Dossier: This is a one-page document that compiles all of the above information into a complete profile of your target consumer.
- Story: Interview your avatar. Ask them questions and note how they would respond. Think about the tone of voice and slang they would use to talk about weed (or “pot,” “loud,” “dank”, etc.).
- Research and refine: Partner with a cannabis brand agency and introduce your customer avatar to them. Allow your agency to conduct market research to refine your customer avatar so that you can tailor your marketing to similar individuals in your dispensary’s area.
Leverage Highopes for Brand Growth and Effective Marketing
Now that you know how to create a custom avatar, you can introduce them to Highopes to bring them to life. Highopes will help you create a personalized marketing campaign to speak directly to your target audience in every aspect of your brand’s messaging and aesthetic. Contact us today to speak with an agent who can take your dispensary to new heights.